The list of the most important historical buildings in Prešov
Education had always strong roots in Prešov. First public schools are mentioned in the 14th century.
Evangelical College was established in 1667.
The church of St. Nicholas is undoubtedly the most remarkable sight of Prešov. In addition, it represents the oldest
and the only Gothic religious building preserved in Prešov.
The Renaissance Evangelical church of the St. Trinity is quite rare in this territory and represents one of the few Protestant churches built in Slovakia during the Reformation period.
Greek-Catholic St. John the Baptist Cathedral was connected to the Minorite monastery in the 17th century and rebuilt
in the Baroque style in the 18th century. The cathedral was visited by the Pope John Paul II. during his official visit in 1995.
Orthodox synagogue with its Maur style decorations is done so well that it makes Prešov´s one of the most vulnerable jewels of this architecture in Slovakia. Therefore at the beginning of 1990´s, American Jews from Los Angels wanted to buy it,
took it to pieces and bring to USA.
Bank named after ambitious young man Michal Bosák. He became one of the most important American bankers. He owned,
for instance, Bank of Europe in New York or First National Bank. He is signed on the 10 dollars note.
Prešov started to build its fortification system in the 14. century. From the large well designed structure of the walls,
trapdoors, water moats and bridges some parts remained till today.
Solivar is historically the most important salt deposit in Slovakia with number of preserved technical monuments connected
with extraction of salt. Salt was obtained from salt springs until 1572 when mining started.